Visitor Question

What to do about torn MCL from fall in store?

Submitted By: Jo (Honolulu, Hawaii)

As I was walking inside Walmart store, the round plastic shipping strap that was on their floor, had ensnared both of my feet, and caused me to fall abruptly. I filled out an accident report, but they did not give me a copy. They told me, before I go to the Doctors, be sure to call them first.

I went to the hospital and did an MRI. It showed I’ve torn my MCL on my right knee. One of the managers on duty saw it happen, so I put him down for a witness. I haven’t heard from them or their insurance company. What can I do? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Jo,

To avoid the “red tape” involved in the transfer of information from the local store to corporate headquarters, you can contact Walmart’s corporate headquarters directly. Inform them you were injured in one of their local stores. Be sure to have ready the following information:

  • Date of your injury
  • Location of the store
  • Circumstances of your injury
  • Name of the manager who witnessed your fall
  • Name and contact information for the doctor who treated you
  • Date you went to see the doctor
  • Doctor’s medical narrative (a copy of the doctor’s diagnosis of your injury)

The manager who witnessed the accident will likely already have submitted the accident (incident) report to corporate. If not, corporate will acquire it. Once you contact corporate with this information they will initiate an investigation into the incident.

To contact Walmart’s corporate headquarters go to their website here, or call: 800-925-6278

Learn more here: Retail Store Injury Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *