Visitor Question

Which workers’ comp insurance should pay the current medical bills?

Submitted By: S (Mt. Wolf, PA)

My husband had a work related injury back in 2007. He cut his hand on a piece of sheet metal, and had to have the tendon in his hand sewn back together. Now he is having pain in his hand. He went back to the same doctor that originally treated him, who says he now has tendonitis. My husband is a plumber so he uses his hands hard.

The doctor is billing back to the original workers’ comp claim, but they are denying the claim. The are try to say that his new workers’ comp insurance should cover this. He needs therapy and prescription medications, but has no one to cover the bills. What can we do? Is the first workers’ comp responsible for this? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear S,

From the facts you present the following may have occurred:

A. Your husband changed jobs and along with his new employment came a new workers’ compensation insurance company; or

B. Your husband’s employer may have simply changed workers’ comp insurance companies; or

C. It may be that the company your husband worked for was sold to another company and that company changed workers’ comp insurance companies.

Your husband’s injury should be covered by his employer’s workers’ comp insurance. That should be the case whether the insurance is with a new company or not. The entity ultimately responsible for the medical treatment your husband requires is the employer for whom he was working at the time of his injury.

Have your husband contact that employer and demand the employer cover your his medical bills. It should be up to the employer, and not your husband to make sure his injuries, and resulting treatment are covered.

If the employer refuses, your husband may have a claim of action against the employer for wrongful denial of workers’ comp benefits. If so, your husband may be entitled to be compensation for medical and therapy bills, out-of-pocket expenses, ALL his lost wages, and for his emotional distress and mental anguish.

Learn more here: Pre-existing Conditions

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *