Visitor Question

Will auto insurance pay for lost wages?

Submitted By: Duke (Clackamas, Oregon)

I’m wondering if I can take time off work to take care of my wife due to a car accident. The doctor took her off work for at least six months and she applied for a leave of absence from her job under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). She now legally has 12 months off work.

My question is, can my car insurance PIP pay for my lost wages when I take FMLA to stay home to take care of my wife – due to her Mild Traumatic Brain Injury and double Whiplash (c4-c5-c6 all torn)? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Duke,

Personal Injury Protection, or “PIP” insurance normally is available to the insured. It is also strictly for injuries you may have suffered as a result of an injury related to a vehicular collision.

Regrettably it is very doubtful you will be able to apply to apply your PIP to your wife’s injuries.

Learn more here: Recovering Lost Wages After Injury

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *