Visitor Question

Work Injury Settlement for Loss of Thumb?

Submitted By: David (Carrolton, GA, USA)

I was at work and the boss’s son cut my thumb off with a skill saw. I was holding a board for him and he came down and hit my thumb. What could I expect as a work injury settlement?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear David,

I am assuming that both you and the boss’s son work for the company and that you are an employee.

If those assumptions are correct, this is a workers compensation claim and would be handled by a workers compensation adjuster.

In those cases, the settlements are based upon a number of factors, primarily:

1. what you do/did for a living;

2. your income;

3. your percentage of disability which segues into when and if you are expected to recover.

I would expect that you are unable to do some or many of the tasks you previously performed without your thumb. Follow the strict guidelines of your adjuster regarding care, treatment and appointments. The workers compensation system is strict and mandated by state statutes, so your adherence will garner the best settlement available.

Learn more here: Claims for Workplace Amputations

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *