Eyes Burned by Hot Wax at a Salon...

by Traci

I went into a salon to get my eyebrows waxed and I was seriously burned by the hot wax. The burns blistered my left eye really bad, in the center between my eyes and also above my right eye.

Since the injury I am having trouble with the vision in my left. I am also having trouble with night driving due to the vision problems caused by the burns. I also now have a long scab on my eyelid.

The woman who was servicing me knew she burned me because she put that cooling gel on my eye very fast. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Eyes Burned by Hot Wax at a Salon...":

Traci (Florida):

Yes there is. Although you didn't mention in your fact scenario that as a result of the serious burn you sought medical attention immediately or very soon after your injury, we can only presume you did.

If you have not already sought medical attention you should do so immediately. While receiving medical treatment for the burn be sure to ask the doctor if there is a possibility of scarring. That information will be very important to any claim you may soon make against the salon. Make sure the doctor puts that information in your medical chart. Then make sure you get a copy of that chart.

Once the burn is treated seek treatment for your vision problem. You will need to know if the condition is temporary or permanent. Here too, make sure you request a copy of the medical record.

Once you have the medical information in hand you have at least two options...

If you will not suffer scarring or permanently impaired vision you can probably ask the salon to pay your medical bills, prescription medications, lost wages, and an additional amount for the pain and suffering you endured. If they refuse, you can file a lawsuit by yourself in Small Claims Court. The State of Florida's Small Claims Court limit is $5,000 dollars.

On the other hand, if either the burn will result in permanent scarring, or your vision will be permanently impaired, you need to seek the advice and counsel of a personal injury attorney. Most will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation. You would certainly require legal assistance in this instance.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Beauty Salon Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: