Visitor Question

Disabled Veteran Files EEOC Complaint…

Submitted By: James (Amarillo, TX, USA)

After working for only 4 weeks part-time, I decided I’d had enough of the harassment towards me. Therefore I quit and subsequently filed paperwork to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The investigator is to contact me at the end of the month.

My question is, should I still pursue the matter, since the individuals responsible for the harassment are still employed with the company?

I feel that the overall process for justice is an illusion, especially for someone that is disabled and a 60+ year old war veteran. Is there anything else I should be doing to see that justice is done? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear James,

The EEOC investigates complaints of job discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, age (40 or older), or genetic information. If the EEOC investigator believes your employer, including one or more of your employer’s employees was, or continues to violate federal law, the EEOC can take action to stop the discrimination.

If the EEOC finds that your employer refuses to take corrective action to eliminate discriminatory practices, the EEOC can sue your employer in federal court.

As an aggrieved employee, you do not have the right to sue your employer for your employer’s discriminatory practices. You will need to contact an attorney to proceed with a lawsuit against your employer.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: October 9, 2014

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(63) "Guide to Proving Employment Discrimination and Filing a Lawsuit"
    string(11) "page_id_192"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "190"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *