Visitor Question

Aspartame poisoning?

Submitted By: Sheila (Afton, OK)

After drinking diet cola’s and ingesting other products with aspartame, I became highly allergic. Breaking out in hives everywhere. I now take two different medications twice a day to help the hives from going out of control again. Even at that, there is seldom a day goes by that I don’t have some hives somewhere on my body.

I also have many other medical problems that arose right after finding out I was allergic to aspartame. I have severe memory loss, and I have COPD, diabetic, high blood pressure, and severe joint pain. Would I have a lawsuit against the makers of aspartame? Is there any other way I can get compensated for all these medical problems? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Sheila,

Before considering whether or not you have the grounds of a viable lawsuit, you will have to prove that aspartame was the direct and proximate cause of your illnesses. That will be a very challenging endeavor. You will need exacting medical testimony confirming no other food or combination of foods, except aspartame, could have caused your medical problems.

Before moving forward you might consider seeking out an allergist who is willing to testify that aspartame was the exclusive agent which caused all your health problems.

If you are able to do so, then consider seeking the advice and counsel of a personal injury attorney. Bring along all your medical records. Fortunately, most personal injury attorneys do not charge for initial office consultations.

Learn more here: Dangerous Drug Lawsuits

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


One comment on “Aspartame poisoning?

  1. Anonymous says:

    You have no case at all if you are overweight due to a high carb diet. I am 100 percent certain that aspartame poisoned me after decades of diet drinks. I had severe dizziness and could not walk without holding onto the wall.

    I had double vision and bad balance problems for months. It’s gotten much better after 5 months but not normal. I drink only water now. I was watching my carbs very closely for the last 10 years and still do.

    I take no medications at 55 years old with normal blood test numbers and blood pressure, except under stress of course in a doctor’s office or when sick.

    Of course there is no way to prove cause and effect with aspartame. The money thirsty greedy a-holes in the govt and the companies are all making money off the poor health and sickness of the people unknowingly poisoning themselves with aspartame.

    The idiot doctors that are prescribing cholesterol lowering pills are doing the same thing. Instead of telling people to cut back on the carbs, they dole out pills for profit that do nothing to combat clogged arteries.

    In fact, the pills cause decreased brain function due to the fact that the brain runs on cholesterol. Lowering cholesterol destroys the brain and liver among other things. I wish I could get aspartame off the market but alas the money talks in this country.

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *