Visitor Question

Benefits for wear and tear on shoulders after 27 years on the job?

Submitted By: A (Tulsa, OK)

I have been a cook in an elementary school for 27 years. I am now 53 years old and have pain from years of doing the job. I have been sent by workman’s comp to several doctors who all seem to agree it is wear and tear from years of lifting and repetitious work. I hurt from my neck, across both shoulders, down my arms to my fingertips.

What can I expect from WC now? If they are not able to help me, do they just settle with me or am I just out of luck? Would they pay for all continuing medical bills or give me disability? Thanks for any info you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear A,

The workers compensation insurance company will continue to pay for your medical care until such time as your primary treating physician determines you have reached a level of maximum medical improvement (MMI).

From the facts you present, it appears your injuries may be permanently disabling. In such a case you should be entitled to a permanent partial disability award. In the State of Oklahoma the workers comp division is formally known as the Oklahoma Workers Compensation Court.

For a detailed guide of workers comp benefits in the State of Oklahoma you can go to You can also contact the Court at:

Oklahoma Workers’ Compensation Court 1915 N. Stiles Ave. Oklahoma City, OK 73105

Telephone: (405) 522-8600 In-state Toll Free (800) 522-8210

You may also be entitled to federal social security disability payments. Unfortunately, the Social Security Disability Administration can literally take years to approve a claim. Additionally, any settlement award by the Disability Administration will be reduced by a function of state workers compensation benefits.

If you have the patience and determination required to pursue a social security disability claim, you can go to

Learn more here: Workplace Injury Claim Guide

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *