Visitor Question

Broke tooth on a large piece of bone in “boneless” chicken…

Submitted By: Beth (Los Angeles, CA)

I purchased boneless skinless chicken breast from a local grocery store, cooked it for my husband and I, and proceeded to eat it.

A couple of bites in I chipped my tooth on a large fragment of bone.

I’ve had two tooth/gum surgeries as a result.

I’ve saved all medical/dental bills, the chicken bone piece, the packaging, etc.

Do I have a legitimate claim for my injuries? What can I do? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Beth,

From the facts you present, you appear to have the basis of a legitimate personal injury claim. That claim should include reimbursement for your dental bills, out-of-pocket expenses, lost wages (sustained while you were treating and/or recovering), and for your pain and suffering.

Some personal injury claims can be handled without an attorney. These type of claim normally involves “soft tissue” injuries such as sprains and strains of muscles, tendons and ligaments, minor abrasions, etc.

Your case is much more serious. You sustained the pain and discomfort of surgery and your recovery. As a result, you really need the advice and counsel of an attorney. This is especially true as the defendant in the matter will likely be a corporation.

Seek out several personal injury attorneys in your area. Bring along copies of all your dental records and bills, receipts for out-of-pocket expenses and verification of your lost wages.

Fortunately, most personal injury attorneys will not charge for an initial office consultation. Moreover, when an attorney accepts your case you will not have to pay any legal fees until, and unless the attorney successfully settles the case or wins it in court.

Learn more here: Food-Related Injury Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *