Visitor Question

Burned by Cell Phone Charger…

Submitted By: Erin (St. George, Utah)

Okay, so I just upgraded to the new iPhone 4S and Friday night I plugged it in to charge. When I unplugged the charger from the wall it hit my leg and burned it to the point of blisters. I know it’s normal for the charger to be warm but it actually burned me. I really have no idea what to do.

Can you suggest any action I can take? I was hurt pretty bad and it seems like this is a major problem with the charger which should be fixed. Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Erin,

If you were hurt badly enough to have required medical attention the medical costs should be compensable. In addition to your medical bills you might be able to recover an additional amount for any of your out of pocket expenses. Those expenses might include items such as prescription medications or over the counter salves or ointments.

If you had to miss work to see a doctor for treatment the amount of wages you would have been paid that day should be compensable as well.

Alternatively, if you didn’t require medical attention you can consider an altruistic act. Contact the manufacturer of the charger and explain to them how you were burned. Hopefully they will thank you for bringing to their attention the possible product defect.

They may take that into consideration and either take the product off the market, or modify it somehow so as to prevent further injuries to other buyers of the product.

If sometime down the road you see the product is still on the market you might consider contacting the Better Business Bureau or the State Attorney General’s Office. They may very well initiate an investigation which may ultimately remove the product from the market.

Learn more here: Defective Product Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *