Visitor Question

Can a law firm put a lien on my settlement money?

Submitted By: Dandy (OK)

I talked to a law firm about taking my workers comp case, but decided not to retain them. I signed nothing, nor did I approved them to do anything. But then they ran down to court and filed a LIEN on my workers compensation money!

What do I do immediately to reverse this, take this law firm’s actions back and remove this lien? Isn’t what they did illegal? Can I file a complaint against them for this action?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Dandy,

If you haven’t filed a Fee Agreement, sometimes referred to as a Contract for Legal or Professional Services, then you do not have a legal obligation to the law firm.

Your best bet would be to seek the legal services of another law firm. Once retained, the new law firm will take over. They will promptly notify the former law firm and confirm that firm’s services are terminated. If a lien has indeed been filed by the former law firm, you can rest assured, soon after you sign a Fee Agreement (Contract) with the new law firm, the attorneys will promptly have the lien rescinded. Soon after, your new law firm may decide to file their own lien.

You can certainly file a complaint with the Oklahoma State Bar, but doing so may not accomplish very much. Unless you want to spend an inordinate amount of time filling out a complaint form and then responding to State Bar inquiries, then just let your new law firm take over. They will move ahead with your workers compensation injury claim.

Learn more here: Medical Liens on Your Settlement

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *