Visitor Question

Can I Sue for Assault and Robbery?

Submitted By: Krishan (Newark, NJ)

I live in New Jersey. Last month I was robbed and assaulted by some teenagers at gun point. During the robbery they broke my jaw and I ended up in the mental health ward of local hospital. What are my legal options in this case? Can I sue the juveniles who assaulted and robbed me?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Krishan,

Unless there are some facts you have not shared with us there is no reason you should have been taken to the Mental Health Ward of your local hospital. If you were assaulted by a criminal element the police should have been called in immediately.

The only possible scenario we can surmise is the following:

You were being “mugged” and someone called the police. When they arrived you may have been very upset. You may have been intoxicated, or you may have failed to follow the orders of the police.

The police would only have taken you to the hospital if they had reason to believe you posed an imminent threat to yourself or others.

They also may have had a Mental Health Warrant which could have been issued prior to the assault.

Without more facts we can only rely on other scenarios where people have been taken to the mental health ward of a local hospital at or about the time of a confrontation with the police.

But other than that, depending on the specific circumstances, it is possible to file a personal injury lawsuit against the perpetrator(s) of an assault, provided you have real damages. Whether you will be able to recover any compensation from a criminal without insurance is another problem entirely.

Learn more here: Crime Victim Injury Compensation

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *