Visitor Question

Can I Sue for Personal Injuries After Getting Punched in the Face?

Submitted By: Paul (Yellowknife, Canada)

I was punched in the face and had to be airlifted to Edmonton for surgery. I received a metal plate for a fractured skull. I now have constant pain and numbness.

The person who did this got out on probation. This person also has no money or very little. Do I have any options for getting compensation for this injury that may make me lose sight in one eye?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Paul,

You certainly suffered a serious injury and have a legal right to sue the person for a substantial amount. Regrettably, all you will ultimately end up with is a paper judgment against him.

There is though a bright side to this whole affair. Filing and winning a lawsuit against him should be relatively easy. Even if he decides to fight it he will probably lose. Once you win the lawsuit you can record the judgment with the local Records Bureau.

Most judgments include a provision for the accrual of annual interest at the prevailing rate. As the years go by there is a possibility this fellow may eventually decide to buy a home, or a car, or something where a loan will be necessary. Each time he does the judgment will appear and when it does it will usually be a bar to receiving the credit he is seeking.

There also remains a possibility this fellow will come into some money in the future. If he does the judgment you initially took against him may have doubled or tripled in value, and when it does you will have a legal right to levy on his assets in the full amount of the judgment and all accrued interest.

Learn more here: Felony Assault & Battery Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *