Visitor Question

Compensation for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

Submitted By: Anonymous (USA)

I was in a car accident. My psychologist said that I have Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) from the accident.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to be compensated in a personal injury vehicle accident with minimal doctors visits? Also, is it possible to get compensated in a personal injury case for psychological damages incurred?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

It is possible to recover a financial settlement with a minimum amount of Doctor’s visits. You can only be diagnosed with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) once. That in itself is the recoverable injury.

In other words, with a Psychiatric disorder your treatment and recovery are normally accomplished by your monthly or other visits with your Psychiatrist, Psychologist or other mental health professional.

In an automobile collision the injuries are more tangible than those psychiatric injuries. You can see, feel, and touch injuries to a person’s body. You can’t for a Psychiatric injury, but that does not mean the psychiatric injury is any less serious.

Mental illness and related psychiatric injuries are complicated matters which require complicated legal interpretation. There are some automobile collision injuries which can be managed without the assistance of an Attorney. In matters of mental health, seeking the representation of a skilled Personal Injury Attorney is really required.

Most reputable Personal Injury Attorneys will not charge a fee for an initial office consultation. You can rest assured once you have visited with an Attorney you will understand all of your legal options.

Learn more here: Compensation for Emotional Distress

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *