Visitor Question

Declining a Previously Accepted Settlement Offer?

Submitted By: Anonymous (Baltimore, MD)

I was eating a bag of chips and it cracked my tooth. I called the vendor and advised them of this incident.

I was asked a number of question which one was if I had dental ins. and the answer was yes.

They sent me out a claim form for the dentist to fill out.

After being seen at the dentist I sent the information to them.

After they reviewed the figures they called me and stated they will reimburse me the portion that i will be responsible for after the insurance portion which is $589.00 and the total bill is for $953.00 I stated ok.

After really thinking about the whole thing, and speaking with my spouse, it really doesn’t sit well with me.

I don’t think my insurance company should be responsible for any portion of this.

All of this was a result to me eating a potato chip.

Now I don’t want to accept this offer, but I already said ok. What is the best way for me to handle this (not to mention they are not even taking into consideration the time I missed from work). Can I get out of accepting the offer?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

If it’s just a verbal acceptance, you can let them know that you changed your mind. Once you sign the release and put it in the mail you cannot rescind your acceptance. However, if your insurance company is aware of the cause of this incident, they may seek reimbursement (subrogation) directly from the vendor.

Additionally, if it was just a verbal acceptance and you had lost wages, you can make a demand for that from the vendor.

Learn more here: Food-Related Injury Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *