Visitor Question

Didn’t know I had Carpal tunnel until I started a new job…

Submitted By: Tricia (Pinehurst, ID)

I worked for a company as cashier manager for 7+yrs but was let go without notice when they closed the store in Nov 2016. I then started working as a sower and that’s when I realized I had carpel tunnel. It came on fast due to pushing, pulling and moving all the different materials.

Looking back I realized I had signs early on like hands falling asleep, but didn’t think much of it. Now I might get denied workmans comp because it could have been a pre-existing injury. What can I do?! Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Tricia,

According to the Mayo Clinic, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a condition which causes numbness, tingling and other symptoms in the hand and arm. It is caused by a compressed nerve in the carpal tunnel, a narrow passageway on the palm side of your wrist. The anatomy of the wrist, health problems, and possibly repetitive hand motions can contribute to the condition.

Start with obtaining a medical verification from your physician who can state definitively your carpal tunnel syndrome began during your tenure with your former employer. In light of the fact you worked for the company for the previous 7 1/2 years, that should not be difficult.

Hopefully you worked for a franchise or company store. If so, contact corporate headquarters and tell them you would like to file a workers’ compensation claim. Because your carpal tunnel injury happened while you were on the job, your work injury will be covered, regardless of the status of the closed business.

Next, if you can learn the name of the workers’ compensation insurance company which formerly insured the store in which you worked,  you can file a claim directly with them.

Learn more here: Workers’ Comp and Pre-existing Conditions

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *