Visitor Question

Do medical benefits continue if I change employers while off on a claim?

Submitted By: Bill (Florence, KY)

I am a police officer and broke my foot while in a foot pursuit after a criminal.

I have been off for about 8 weeks healing, wearing a boot to stabilize my broken foot.

I have been offered a job in the banking industry, where I can work while I am in the boot healing.

My question is… will the current workmans comp claim continue to pay for my doctor for this injury if I take another job with a different employer? How does that coverage work? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Bill,

The answer is Yes. It breaks down as follows:

You were injured on the job. You had, and continue to have a right to medical and/or therapy treatment, out-of-pocket expenses (for such items as medications, bandages, costs of travel to and from treatment, etc.), and about 2/3rds of your lost wages.

Here’s the difference… If you receive a salary from the bank, you may have to reimburse workers’ compensation for the difference between the 2/3rds if your former employer’s salary and the full amount of wages you may receive at your new job.

You aren’t allowed to “double dip.” However, as long as you continue to rely on the doctors provided to you, you don’t have to be concerned about loss of medical treatment.

Learn more here: Returning to Work After Injury

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *