Visitor Question

Dog Park Accident…

Submitted By: Sarah (Oakland, CA, USA)

I saw a lady at the dog park scream and yell that a bunch of dogs had ran passed her and injured her knee. Her husband ran in, from outside of the gate and said, “oh, she has a bad knee already”. They sat there for a while and then he carried her out.

A week later, the husband came back down and started asking for the homeowners insurance policy for our dogs. He wasn’t sure which one, but one of them had hurt her. WHAT?

I think they are just trying to get someone to pay their medical bills since she was hurt already. What was she doing in the park and how in the heck can she say it was my dog?

I asked everyone there if they saw and I know my largest dog was beside me when she started screaming. Do I have to do anything?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Sarah,

You don’t have to do anything. You certainly don’t have to give him the name of your homeowners insurance company. You don’t have to give him anything.

There isn’t any law in the State of California which requires you to give any information to someone claiming injuries.

If he wants some information, let him take legal action.

There really isn’t much he can do. From the facts you present it doesn’t appear he or his wife has much of a case. It sounds more like bluster than it does substance.

If he makes attempts to contact you and you tell him you are not giving him any information, and further tell him not to contact you anymore, and he does, then you can always contact the police and file a harassment charge against him.

If he begins to leave telephone messages on your answering machine those calls can be used against him as well.

Let’s hope the whole matter just fades away.

If it doesn’t, just remember you haven’t done anything wrong, and at this point don’t owe the man or his wife any attention.

Learn more here: Dealing With Fake Accident Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *