Visitor Question

Driver Hit My Dog and Left the Scene…

Submitted By: Anonymous (Albuquerque, NM)

My dog was hit by a car. I got the license plate number, make and model of the car. I also have 3 witnesses who saw my dog get hit. The driver of the car left the scene. She didn’t even stop to ask what happened.

Am I able to get the driver of the car to pay the veterinarian bills?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

Yes, the at-fault driver should be responsible for your dog’s injuries and resultant medical bills. Contact the driver and explain what happened. The driver probably knows she hit the animal. When you call the driver ask her for her insurance information. Once you have the information contact the insurance company and file a claim. When you contact the insurance company they will assign a Claims Adjuster to your case.

It will probably be a matter of several days or more before the Adjuster gets back to you. That’s pretty standard.

When contacted she will probably ask you for your recorded telephonic statement. That’s also perfectly acceptable and customary in the insurance business.

The Adjuster will also take the driver’s statement. Once the adjuster completes her investigation she will decided whether the insurance company will accept liability. If they do, your dog’s veterinarian bills should be paid in full.

Be sure to ask the adjuster to include an amount for your out of pocket expenses. They might include any aids you were required to purchase to help your dog with his recovery.

Although there isn’t any law which says the insurance company has to pay you for your dog’s or your pain and suffering, it wouldn’t hurt to ask the adjuster to add an additional amount for the emotional stress you suffered. It is doubtful she will agree, but you can at least ask.

Learn more here: Hit and Run Accidents

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *