Visitor Question

Eyes Burned by Hot Wax at a Salon…

Submitted By: Traci (Florida)

I went into a salon to get my eyebrows waxed and I was seriously burned by the hot wax. The burns blistered my left eye really bad, in the center between my eyes and also above my right eye.

Since the injury I am having trouble with the vision in my left. I am also having trouble with night driving due to the vision problems caused by the burns. I also now have a long scab on my eyelid.

The woman who was servicing me knew she burned me because she put that cooling gel on my eye very fast. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Traci,

Yes there is.

Although you didn’t mention in your fact scenario that as a result of the serious burn you sought medical attention immediately or very soon after your injury, we can only presume you did.

If you have not already sought medical attention you should do so immediately. While receiving medical treatment for the burn be sure to ask the doctor if there is a possibility of scarring. That information will be very important to any claim you may soon make against the salon. Make sure the doctor puts that information in your medical chart. Then make sure you get a copy of that chart.

Once the burn is treated seek treatment for your vision problem. You will need to know if the condition is temporary or permanent. Here too, make sure you request a copy of the medical record.

Once you have the medical information in hand you have at least two options…

If you will not suffer scarring or permanently impaired vision you can probably ask the salon to pay your medical bills, prescription medications, lost wages, and an additional amount for the pain and suffering you endured. If they refuse, you can file a lawsuit by yourself in Small Claims Court. The State of Florida’s Small Claims Court limit is $5,000 dollars.

On the other hand, if either the burn will result in permanent scarring, or your vision will be permanently impaired, you need to seek the advice and counsel of a personal injury attorney. Most will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation. You would certainly require legal assistance in this instance.

Learn more here: Beauty Salon Injury Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *