Visitor Question

Fell down stairs at work…

Submitted By: Anonymous (Cheshire, AZ)

I fell down the stairs at work from top to bottom backwards. I was holding onto the banister with my left hand when I fell off the first step. I tried grabbing the banister with my right hand, which then in turn twisted my body and I feel backwards and hit my head at the bottom.

The following day I went the doctors on they in turn sent me for X-rays. I am badly bruised all across across my back and bum and shoulder. The steps were inspected the following day and the non-slip tape was found to be a little worn. Who’s fault would this be? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

As an employee performing your normal and customary work duties, your injuries and resulting costs of treatment and recovery will be covered under your employer’s worker’s compensation insurance carrier. As such, fault is irrelevant.

Your employer’s decision to inspect and replace non-slip tape after your injury does not represent an admission of fault. Even if it did, workers’ compensation laws would still preclude you from suing your employer.

Be sure to timely file your workers’ comp claim. Further, be sure to continue to seek medical treatment. This is especially important, as your medical bills and resulting costs will be paid for by worker’s comp. Do not agree to settle your injury claim until your physician informs you your are fully recovered, or that you have reached a level of maximum medical improvement.

Learn more here: Slip and Falls at Work

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *