Visitor Question

Given a Ticket After Getting Hit by a Deer While Driving…

Submitted By: Henry (Nottoway, VA)

A deer ran into the side of my car and pushed me off the road into a tree, my car was damaged and I was injured. The officer working the scene gave me a ticket for failure to maintain control of a vehicle. I have full coverage on my vehicle.

So my question is, can I still file a medical claim with my auto insurance even with the ticket I was given by the officer? And why did I get a ticket when I was pushed out of the road by a deer? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Henry,

Yes, you can file a claim with your insurance company. You were injured in an automobile collision and your policy will cover your injuries. The issuance of a citation will not affect your claim at all.

Depending on the number of previous claims you may have filed, the number of years you have been with your insurance company, and other related factors, your premiums may rise. If you haven’t already filed a claim with your company, do so at the earliest possible time. Handle the claim just as if you were the victim of a collision with another driver.

The officer’s action in issuing a citation for failing to maintain control of your vehicle does sound a bit strange, especially as you ran into a deer. There may be other factors which influenced her decision.

Unless we knew what those factors were, it is very difficult for us to know why she made that decision. If you disagree you can certainly enter a plea of not guilty and fight the case.

Learn more here: Using the Car Accident Police Report

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *