Visitor Question

Hit and Run by 18 Wheeler…

Submitted By: Lisa (Rockville, MD )

I was on the interstate traveling west on 10/29/11. I was in my lane when an 18 wheeler from TN stared to move from the right lane into my lane. The truck hit my back left side of my car behind the driver seat. I couldn’t move more to my right to avoid the truck because another car was there.

The collision with the truck took the molding off my car and did damage to left side. The metal door is smashed in with a hole from the truck hitting it. The truck didn’t even stop, just kept going. Can you tell me how to file a hit and run report for an 18 wheeler? Is there anything else I can do? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Lisa,

First, contact the police. Hopefully you did that via your cell phone at, or about the time of the collision.

If not, contact them as soon as possible.

Having a police report is the best way to support your claim against the trucker.

If you are able to afford the repair to your vehicle, then go ahead and have it repaired. Hold on to the repair bills. If you rented a car while yours was in the shop, hold onto that bill as well.

Hopefully you were also able to get the truck’s license plate number, the name of the truck, and/or any of the numbering attached to the truck. Contact the trucking company. They will assign your inquiry to one of their insurance company investigators. Most are called “Claims Adjusters.

With the documentation set out above you should be able to secure a fair settlement for the damage to your car, and the resultant costs to repair it.

Learn more here: Semi-Truck Accident Compensation

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *