Visitor Question

Hit by uninsured motorist while walking…

Submitted By: Anonymous (Poulsbo, Washington)

I was walking across a street in CA and was hit by a car. The driver of the car doesn’t have insurance.

Will my uninsured motorist vehicle insurance in WA state cover me even though I wasn’t in my car? I sustained injuries to my shoulder, thigh, knee, and head. I was transported by ambulance to the hospital and released that night. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

Fortunately, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will pay the costs of medical treatment and related expenses sustained in a car accident where the insured was a pedestrian.  Expenses covered will be medical and therapy treatment, out-of-pocket expenses, lost wages, and for your pain and suffering.

While you may have your own health insurance coverage,  it’s not fair for you to have to rely on that coverage for the medical treatment and related costs you incurred at the hands of the at-fault driver. Turning to your own medical coverage might require you to pay a deductible, copays and other costs not directly covered under your policy.

Contact your auto insurance carrier. Explain what happened, and tell them you want to file a claim under your uninsured motorist coverage. You will be assigned  a claim adjuster and given a claim number. The adjuster will work with you during your medical treatment to make sure your medical bills are reimbursed.

Learn more here: Pedestrians Hit by Cars

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *