Visitor Question

Hit on the Head By Falling Object in a Store…

Submitted By: Lety (Tucson)

I was inside a world market store looking at the framed art 2 days ago, when a sharp metal object fell on my head. I left the store without filing a report or anything. I now have a huge bump on my head and it still hurts.

When I called the store this morning they said they have no cameras and they really cant do anything for me. Is there anything I can/should do?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Lety,

Yes. Go to either the local hospital emergency room or medical clinic. If that is not practical then go to your own physician. Before you know whether you have a claim, you must know what that claim will be based upon.

Hopefully the bump will be nothing more than a “soft tissue” injury. That’s an injury which occurs primarily to a person’s tissue area and usually doesn’t include such injuries as broken bones, torn ligaments or tendons, or even internal organs.

A bump on the head is usually classified as a “contusion”.

Once you seek medical care you will be in a better position to know if your injury is serious or not.

If it is not then you will be left with a small amount of medical bills.

With those bills you can contact the store and remind them of the incident. At that time you can include copies of your medical bills and ask the store to reimburse you. Inasmuch as they have already seemed to be backing away from accepting liability you may have a difficult time convincing them to reimburse you.

If they persist in denying liability you can always consider filing a small claims court action. Because the process can be time consuming if the amount of medical bills is not substantial, you might want to reassess your decisions.

If for any reason your injuries are serious you should consider visiting with a personal injury attorney. Most will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation.

Visiting with one (or more) will afford you a better idea of your rights and the store’s responsibilities.

Learn more here: Retail Store Injury Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *