Visitor Question

Hit & Run in my Driveway!

Submitted By: Sequoia (Sacramento, CA)

Last night my new car was hit while parked in my driveway. No one saw the driver that hit my car, just the damages he/she caused. The problem is that I have only had the car for about 4 days and have not gone to get car insurance yet. Is there any way I can get help paying for the damages without knowing the person that hit me?

I live in California. Here it is the law to have auto insurance on your car, but as I stated earlier I just bought the car and have only had it for 4 days. What can I do to get compensation for the damages? Thank you for any information you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Sequoia,

You are in a precarious position. In California, victims of crimes can often seek financial compensation form California’s Victims Compensation Fund. Information on the Fund, filing forms, and the procedure required to seek compensation can be found at this page on

The problem you may run into is your contribution to your circumstances. Technically, you were in violation of the law when the crime occurred. As a result, your application may be scrutinized and possibly denied.

But don’t give up. Fill out the form and try. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Learn more here: Car Accident Property Damage

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *