Visitor Question

How can I find out the other driver’s liability insurance coverage?

Submitted By: Anonymous (Long Beach, Mississippi)

This accident happened in MS and the other driver has LA insurance. He received a DUI after hitting me head on, even though I had moved completely off the road in the grass.

It totaled my car, and the left side of my body was severely affected. My rib was fractured with severe pain on my side, from hip bone area and going up into my chest area. There was a bruise on my knees for at least 6 weeks. There was no outward bruise in the rib fracture area.

I had an x-ray of my left knee and abdomen at the ER. Then had follow-up with my primary doctor including urine tests, neck x-ray, and more x-rays w/contrast of my chest and abdomen. My abdomen showed a spot in very lower of right lung, so I was referred to a pulmonary doctor, resulting in more x-rays and a PET scan which showed no activity. I was under her care for 2 yrs.

Because of his DUI and my injuries I was subpoenaed to City Court 3 times. I left the last time when the judge said I could, and do not know the other driver’s final judgment.

My medical costs, including several I neglected to list such as physical therapy, are pretty expensive. My question is, how do I find out what his insurance liability coverage is?

I am very concerned and thus far do not have an attorney. His insurer contacted me immediately and said his co. was assuming liability and would pay medical bills, etc. He has called about once a month checking on how I am, etc. Still I am very concerned about settlement.

Can I just ask him what the monetary coverage for liability is on the policy? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

You are in a precarious position, which many injured victims who are unrepresented by counsel find themselves in.

If you have filed a lawsuit, then the insurance company will have to disclose their insured’s policy limits during the “Discovery” phase of litigation. If you are still negotiating with the insurance company, and have not filed a lawsuit, they do not have to disclose their insured’s policy limits.

Under the circumstances it would be a very good idea to visit with some local personal injury attorneys. Most personal injury attorneys will not charge for an initial office visit. This usually does not include an initial telephone conversation.

Your injuries are serious enough to warrant you hiring an attorney. You are much more likely to get fair compensation for your damages with an attorney, even after you deduct the attorney’s contingency fee.

Insurance adjusters are experts at negotiating personal injury claims, and may not tell you the full policy limits of their insured. This could result in a payout much less than is warranted given the circumstances of your case.

Learn more here: Drunk Driving Accident Compensation

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *