Visitor Question

How do I get help for myself when workers comp won’t pay for doctors?

Submitted By: Anonymous (Chicago, Illinois)

I suffered a head injury 5/28/17. I was sent for weekly Temporary Total Disability (TTD) checks, the last being 2/16/18, but they were stopped 3 times for no apparent reason.  My appointments with Ontology-Neurologist, Ear Nose & Throat, and Psychologist were set several times but then denied with no explanation. I’ve had appointments to see a pain doctor for injections but all were cancelled by worker’s comp.

How do I get help for myself if everything gets denied? Can I purchase my own insurance and then sue worker’s comp for reimbursement?

At this point only my spine injury has been proven, but other than prescribing me 4 different pain meds, they keep denying my cervical injection. All other issues have not been dealt with. I’m having vertigo, fluid coming out of my ears, sinus drainage, and problems swallowing. I need help, but workers comp is not providing it. How do I get help for myself? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

It appears you have reached an impasse with your employer and the insurance company. Your next step will be to request an Arbitration Hearing to sort out your issues. While Illinois workers compensation arbitration is binding on both parties, at this point, requesting a hearing is in your best interests.

To request a hearing, ask your employer, or your employer’s insurance company to give you the Request for Hearing form.

Once completed, mail the form to:

Illinois Workers Compensation Board
4500 S. Sixth Street Rd
Springfield, IL 62703-5118

You cannot sue the Illinois Workers Compensation Board. You’d be well-advised to seek the advice and counsel of several workers compensation attorneys in your area.  Most will not charge for an initial office consultation.

Attorney’s fees in workers’ compensation cases are set by law under the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act. In general, fees will not exceed twenty percent (20%) of the amount of the award, whether that award is reached by settlement or by an arbitrator’s decision.

Learn more here: Workers Comp Denials & Appeals

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *