Visitor Question

I was denied prescription medication while in county jail…

Submitted By: John (Macon, GA)

I was arrested for burglary, having Rx meds not in container, and misdemeanor criminal trespass. This all happened while in a PTSD flashback (I am a former soldier). The residence I entered was my childhood home 35 years ago.

While in county jail (federally funded) I was denied all of the medication that was properly prescribed by my psychiatrist. I was also left unattended while other prisoners informed jailers that I needed medical attention (for how long, I don’t know). I was put in the “med” cell for 31 days. The jailers placed 3 different inmates for a few hours each in the cell, and one struck me in the face.

I begged for some medical relief and medication, but it’s against GA law to allow any kind of narcotic to be given to an inmate, or so I was told. I even told them that my psychiatrist’s office was a short distance, but that was useless.

I was eventually released into the “block” with other prisoners. After numerous “kites” and visits to the nurse, I was told that the Captain had made arrangements for me to get my medication, but it never came.

The district attorney saw that the charges were no more than criminal trespass, as after I left the residence that I entered in the mid morning, I returned because I left my phone and sat inside the residence. I was given a proper sentence of a year on probation, and mental health observation.

The total event has made my PTSD harder to deal with. It will be 2 years July 11th. I really just want to help bring this out to the public so other former soldiers will get the medication needed if jailed. Thanks for forum I think typing this out has been beneficial for me.

Is there anything I can do to get reforms of the jail’s medication policy, to see other inmates get the medications they need? Can I file a complaint or have this looked into? Thank you for any information you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear John,

You have several options…

You can contact the Sheriff’s Department and file a complaint by going to: The Macon County Sheriff’s Department

You can also contact Charles M. Cannon, who is the elected County Sheriff at:

17 Crescent Street P.O. Box 345 Oglethorpe, GA 31068 Phone: 478-472-6447 Fax: 478-472-4544 Email:

You can also contact the Macon County Board of Commissioners and let them know the circumstances of your incarceration and denial of required medication.

You can contact the Board of Commissioners here.

Finally, you can contact Regina McDuffie, who is the County Manager for Macon County. Email:

Learn more here: Jail and Prison Inmate Injury Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


3 thoughts on “I was denied prescription medication while in county jail…

  1. Leslie says:

    I experienced the same treatment while incarcerated in a County Jail in Georgia. I have a history of a-fib, congestive heart failure, Graves’ disease, lung deficiency, depression, and anxiety. I suffered over 5 panic attacks one while in the holding cell and on top of that for a day and a half I asked for soap and toilet paper and was denied. I get into population and there again for 30 days no meds.

  2. Jodi says:

    I was wrongly incarcerated in the County Jail Medical unit from August 20th thru September 3rd 2019. I have COPD, Alzheimer’s and Systemic Lupus just to name a few. I was refused oxygen for nighttime for which I am medically prescribed and depend on to not stop breathing at night. I was locked down 24/7 in a brightly lit medical cell.

    I also had active c-diff with diarrhea and was extremely dehydrated. The toilet was backed up and filled to the top for 3 days. They denied me fresh drinkable water and or Gatorade multiple times. My seizure medication was changed as well as my blood pressure medication.

    I was forced to take Prednisone which is on my allergy list and I was denied the breathing treatments I was supposed to have 4 times a night while having chest pains, hand numbness and short of breath.
    I was thrown into a wheelchair while the 4 guards and 2 nurses were screaming in my face to stop faking and your not going to the hospital over and over.

    The nurse then balled up her fist with knuckles protruding and punched me twice in the sternum with the threat of a third one if I didn’t take the breathing treatment in my hand. After that they all stood around me and bragged about how they use the life saving procedure called a “sternum rub” that’s meant to bring an unconscious person back usually by a paramedic or cardiologist.

    This group uses it as a weapon to inmates that aren’t well or on the ground. They accuse 100% of the inmates of faking things no matter what the signs and symptoms are. They thoroughly enjoy doing it and are extremely thorough with their torture techniques.

  3. JoAnn says:

    The same thing happened to me. I assaulted my husband during a PTSD blackout and spent shy of 3 months in local county jail awaiting court. I was released on a misdemeanor and was denied all meds.

    My diagnoses are many, but worse ones are gastroparesis, broken back, and chronic anxiety and depression. I am soo much worse off now than before. Scared to even leave my home. I’m looking for a civil attorney for Texas County, Missouri.

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *