Visitor Question

Is an adult child’s injury covered by parents’ homeowners policy?

Submitted By: Joelle (Baltimore, Maryland)

I am an adult child living with my parents for the past eleven months. I slipped and fell down the interior stairs. The carpeted stairs were wet because my Mom had cleaned the carpet early that morning. As a result of the wet stairs, that I did not know were wet, I slipped and broke my ankle.

My parents have homeowners insurance.

Are injuries of residents of the home such as me excluded from damages? How would I go about filing a claim with their insurance company? Do I have any other options for having my medical bills covered? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Joelle,

The purpose of homeowners insurance is to provide coverage for “perils.”

A peril can be property damage to homeowners property or injuries to third parties.

According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, there are several types of coverage in the typical homeowners policy:

“Coverage A: Covers damage to the house. The face amount of the policy (for example $100,000) is the most you will receive if your house is totally destroyed.

Coverage B: Covers damage to other structures or buildings, such as a detached garage, work shed, or fencing.

Coverage C: Covers damage to, or loss of personal property. Personal property includes household contents and other personal belongings used, owned or worn by you and your family.

Coverage D: Covers additional living expenses when incurred. This means that the policy covers the necessary living expenses up to the stated limit, incurred by the insured to continue, as nearly as possible, the normal standard of living when the house cannot be occupied due to a covered loss.

Coverage E: Covers personal liability. This coverage protects you against claims arising from accidents to others on property that you own or rent. With a few exceptions, such as auto or boating accidents, it is an all purpose liability policy that follows you wherever you go.

Coverage F: Covers medical expenses. Coverage is limited to an amount per person and per accident for injuries occurring on your premises to persons other than an insured, or elsewhere, if caused by you, a member of your family, or your pets. An important feature of this coverage is that payment is made regardless of legal liability.”

Homeowners liability insurance protects you and your family members if you or they are determined to be legally responsible for injuries to third party-non family members residing on your property.

Unfortunately, homeowners insurance generally does not cover injuries to family members residing on the insured property. This includes slip and fall injuries. To be sure you must review the homeowners insurance policy.

Your alternative is to seek coverage under your own private medical/health insurance, or that of your parents. This presumes there is insurance in place covering such injuries and resulting medical bills.

Learn more here: Injury Claims for Accidents at Home

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *