Visitor Question

Is the mileage expense of driving to medical appointments reimbursable?

Submitted By: Ken (Houston, TX)

Someone ran a red light and hit my passenger side, totaling my car and injuring me. I had to see various doctors between February 15th through October 15 2012. I sometimes had appointments where the round trip drive to the facility was over 90 miles. I estimate the mileage to be around 1600 miles for all medical trips.

Is this reimbursable in Texas? I mean, is the mileage expense of driving to medical appointments reimbursable in car accident injury cases? How would I get compensation for it? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Ken,

Your mileage traveled going to and from your medical appointments is certainly part of your legitimate reimbursable damages from the at-fault party’s insurance company. In addition, you can also demand a pro-rated amount for the wear and tear on your car during these trips.

In addition to your mileage you are certainly entitled to compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company for your medical bills, other out of pocket expenses, any lost wages, and of course your pain and suffering.

If you haven’t already contacted the at fault driver and his insurance company, you should do so immediately. The State of Texas has a 2 year Statute of Limitations for the filing of a lawsuit in a personal injury claim. You have plenty of time, but should proceed promptly.

If you have any questions you can always consult with a personal injury attorney. Most will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation.

Learn more here: Personal Injury Compensation Guide

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *