Visitor Question

Lost ring finger on left hand…

Submitted By: Travis (West Virginia)

I’m a heavy equipment operator. While I was putting fuel in a piece of heavy equipment I fell and hooked my wedding ring on the equipment, tearing my ring finger off from my hand just below the first joint. The rest of my finger and knuckle had to be removed.

How long should I be off work for an injury like this? How much should I be compensated? Generally, how long will it take to settle a case like this? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Travis,

The amount of time you should be away from work is entirely dependent on how long it takes for your injuries to heal. Your workers comp treating physician will determine the time when you can return to your job duties, if ever. At that time, if you haven’t been diagnosed with a disability, whether temporary, partial, or total, you should be able to return to your former job duties.

Workers compensation insurance doesn’t pay for an injured worker’s pain and suffering. As a result, unless your injury results in a disability, you will likely not receive any cash settlement. Instead you will receive reimbursement for your medical bills, out of pocket expenses directly related to the treatment of your injury, and about two thirds the amount of your lost wages.

The amount of time your workers comp claim will take is once again completely dependent upon the time it takes for your injuries to heal. Once you have reached a level of MMI (Maximum Medical Improvement) you should be in a position to end your claim.

Some workers compensation claims involving minor injuries can be handled by the injured worker. More serious injury claims like yours should be handled by an experienced workers comp attorney. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. Because of the seriousness of your injury you would be well-served to at least sit down with one or two attorneys to get their advice.

Learn more here: Workplace Finger Injury Settlements

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *