Visitor Question

Medical Malpractice Case: Injection in Sciatic Nerve?

Submitted By: Linda (Clearfield, UT)

I think this is a medical malpractice case. I was given an IM injection in the ER. I questioned the location choice but the injection was given in the same spot anyway and it hit my sciatic nerve. I now can’t use my leg, I have continuous pain due to the injection into my sciatic nerve, I’m unable to work or take care of my home and kids.

I think it’s the fault of the nurse or tech or whoever it was that administered the injection. Will the hospital pay for my lost wages and pain and suffering?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Linda,

Medical malpractice cases are difficult (though not impossible) to prove and more than any other case, require a causal connection between what occurred (the injection) and the damages you allege (the continuous pain).

You should first attempt to receive some sort of compensation from the hospital but unfortunately it is doubtful they will pay. Hospitals are inundated with patient complaints alleging wrong doing by staff, nurses and doctors. More than likely, you will need to find a doctor who will state that the injection site selected was incorrect.

Not only that, the doctor must substantiate that the medical care provider fell below the standard of care in selecting this site and that the injection is the primary cause of the pain you feel today. Any history of sciatica or similar pains will go against your case.

Furthermore, doctors in the same community will seldom submit opinions against other doctors. You may have to go outside of your general area to find a doctor willing to provide the detailed narrative you need.

Learn more here: ER Malpractice Lawsuits

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *