Visitor Question

Moving out of state with an open WC claim?

Submitted By: Jerry (Jensen Beach, Florida)

I have an ongoing workers compensation claim from an injury in Florida. I’m now looking to transfer with my company to Massachusetts. I see pain management every 3 months for maintenance drugs.

My question is, if I move to Mass and my back blows out again and I need surgery, will I then file a Mass workers comp claim or does it go back to Florida? Do I have to go through any special process to move the claim to another state? Any info you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Jerry,

There are two possible scenarios…

First: Contact the workers compensation insurance claim adjuster presently assigned to your claim. Explain to her that you will soon be relocating to Massachusetts. Doing so will not present a problem with your treatment in Massachusetts, or the remaining processing of your claim. The adjuster will likely tell you to continue with treatment and let her know the name, address and contact information of the new pain clinic.

Second: Your present adjuster may transfer your claim to another claims adjuster in Massachusetts. This will occur if doing so is insurance company policy, and the insurance company does business in Massachusetts. If so, your claim number will likely remain the same, and the new adjuster will contact you to establish communication to further process your claim.

You really have no reason to be concerned. You should be entitled to the same benefits whether you live in your present location or Massachusetts.

Learn more here: Personal Injury Laws by State

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *