Visitor Question

My full time job is affected by an injury at my part time job…

Submitted By: Kim (Maryland)

I have 2 jobs, one full-time and one part-time. I fell at work at the part-time job. I broke my pinky finger and injured my ring finger in the fall. I’ve had 3 surgeries on the pinky and might face a joint replacement or infusion. Workmans comp says Maryland is not a “double stack” state so they’ll only pay me for the job I was hurt on which is part-time.

When they tell me there is nothing more to be done and I must do a settlement, is my full-time job figured into the settlement or only the part-time job I was hurt on? I have to type in my full time job so that is very difficult now due to the injury. Thank you for any info you can give about how workers comp is supposed to handle my injury affecting both my jobs.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Kim,

In the State of Maryland workers compensation benefits are based on the injuries you sustained on the job. In your case, the injuries occurred while performing your job duties at your part-time job.

Your benefits will include payment for all medical bills directly resulting from your part-time job injury, your reasonable out of pocket expenses for such items as medications, braces, costs of transportation to and from medical treatment and therapy, etc. Workers compensation will also pay you for about 2/3rds of the wages you lost while unable to work as a direct result of your on the job injury.

Unfortunately, “stacking” or “double dipping” is not permitted under workers compensation laws. Under workers comp laws in the State of Maryland you are only permitted to recover “damages” for injuries related to the job where the injury occurred.

Make sure you present workers compensation with all costs of treatment. Most importantly, don’t settle your claim until you are sure you have reached a point of maximum medical improvement (MMI).

Learn more here: Workers’ Comp and Pre-existing Conditions

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *