Visitor Question

Need surgery for carpal tunnel after retiring from job that caused it?

Submitted By: Cheryl (Indianapolis, Indiana)

I worked in a library for almost 20 years and now have carpal-tunnel. I have had 3 surgeries on one hand and 2 on the other between 2012 and 2014. I retired from my job in February 2012. I am now going to need another surgery on my hand.

My question is, what can I do about this? Am I able to receive workers’ comp for this, or there another route I should go for compensation? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Cheryl,

We can only hope you previously filed for workers’ compensation benefits at the time of your previous surgeries. This of course presumes the previous carpal tunnel injury was in fact work related.

If you did receive workers’ comp benefits during that time, and your doctor will confirm your upcoming surgery is directly related to, and is a direct result of your work-related duties during your time at the library, then your workers’ comp benefits should extend to the upcoming surgery.

If your doctor will confirm the relationship between the surgeries and your work duties, and the workers’ comp insurance company denies your claim, then it will be time to seek legal representation.

Fortunately, most workers’ compensation attorneys will not charge for an initial office consultation. If you do seek out these attorneys, be sure to bring with you to the appointments copies off all your medical records and bills starting with the first report of injury.

Learn more here: Carpal Tunnel Settlements

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


One comment on “Need surgery for carpal tunnel after retiring from job that caused it?

  1. Sherry says:

    I literally left my job yesterday and have been having pain and numbness in my hand for one month. Now I can take a minute to go to the doctor cause I’m pretty positive I have carpal tunnel. I’m wondering if I’d still be able to file a claim if the carpal tunnel is work related.

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *