Visitor Question

Proof my job as a dental assistant caused carpal tunnel and arthritis?

Submitted By: Cindy (Hilbert, WI, United States)

I have been a dental assistant for 18 years at the same place. I have been experiencing pain in my fingers/hands/wrists for quite some time now.

Doctors said it was tendinitis.

I finally had swelling in my wrist and the doctor took me seriously.

I do have carpal tunnel, tendinitis, and arthritis with bone spurs. I had one doctor say to me, “You and I know both that it came from your job, but you have to prove it.”

How can I prove it?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Cindy,

You may not have to prove your job caused the carpal tunnel syndrome. You’ve been at your job for 18 years. It’s unlikely anyone would doubt your carpal tunnel syndrome was caused anywhere else.

Contact your employer’s workers compensation insurance company and file a claim. An insurance adjuster will investigate the facts. Unless the adjuster can find evidence of a pre-existing injury, or that you engage in activities outside of work which may have caused your carpal tunnel syndrome, you shouldn’t have any problem having workers comp cover your medical bills.

In the event your employer doesn’t carry workers compensation insurance you will need to ask the dentist for the name of his office liability insurance company. You will go through the same procedure with the liability insurance adjuster.

In the event you run into a any problems you can always consult with a workers compensation attorney. Most won’t charge a fee for an initial office consultation.

Learn more here: Carpal Tunnel Settlements

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *