Visitor Question

Scraped my bumper on VERY uneven curb – who is at fault?

Submitted By: Andrea (Asheville, NC)

I pulled into a parking spot in my local library and didn’t see that the curb located directly in front of me was much higher than the curb I could actually see. Therefore, I accidentally ran up onto the curb with my bumper, not realizing that the curb at that very spot was the same height of the underside of my car and my bumper.

It caused SIGNIFICANT damage to both my bumper AND the panel that the bumper is connected to, even though I drove onto it VERY slowly, and backed off of it VERY slowly – the damage was done. Who is at fault: The city for its crappy, uneven, unsafe curb, or me? What can/should I do about this? Thanks!

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Andrea,

Contact the Asheville City Manager and ask where you can file a property damage claim. While there is no guarantee the City will reimburse you for the damage, you can certainly file a claim.

After visiting the Asheville City website, we were unable to find the specific department dealing with property damage caused by city vehicles, buildings, and other governmental facilities.

The Asheville City Manager’s office will be able to direct you to the appropriate department where you can file a property damage claim.

You can also go by in person to the City Manager’s office at:

Asheville City Hall Second Floor 338 Hilliard Ave Asheville, NC 28801

Phone: (828) 259-5604

Their hours are: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday

Learn more here: Parking Lot Accident Fault

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *