Visitor Question

Second Degree Burns from Hot Coffee…

Submitted By: Joy (Cleveland, OH)

My son was getting the hot coffee provided by a grocery store. The coffee spilled and burned his feet with second degree burn. I’m wondering if I can file a claim against the store for his personal injuries? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Joy,

Yes, you can file a claim against the store for your son’s personal injuries.

Contact the store owner and present your son’s medical bills. Ask the store manager to reimburse you for the medical costs and any of your related out-of-pocket expenses. Those out-of-pocket expenses usually include, but are not limited to, prescription and over the counter medications, or like medical aids.

If you had to take time off from work to take your son to the hospital, local medical clinic, or hospital emergency room, and as a result you missed work you can also ask to be reimbursed for your lost wages.

If your son didn’t require any medical care you can still contact the store’s owner. If there was some breakdown in the coffee machine which caused the coffee to spill you can ask the owner for an apology. Maybe your letting him know about the problem will result in her repairing the problem so no one else will be injured.

Learn more here: Defective Product Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *