Visitor Question

Settlement for permanent back injury at work?

Submitted By: Anonymous (Mooresville, Indiana)

I was at work and hurt my back. I have 3 bulges disc (L3, L4, and L5) that pinch the sciatic nerve. The doctor told me that surgery was too risky. So after months of physical therapy, multiple spinal injections, and work therapy, the doctor marked me with a PPD and permanent restrictions.

I continue to get worse daily. I am only 34 and now I walk with a cane. I know that I am going to have no choice but to find a new job, which won’t be easy. I was wondering what to expect on a settlement offer and approximately how long it should take to receive an offer? I have children at home and need to try to plan accordingly. Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

The amount of your permanent partial disability compensation will depend on the degree of impairment determined by your treating physician. For a list of Permanent Partial Impairment Ratings and Payments in Indiana see: Indiana Workers’ Compensation Payments.

It’s important to note you do not have to accept the assigned permanent partial impairment (PPI) rating. You have the right to a second medical opinion regarding your impairment rating. If you are given two PPI ratings for the same injury from two different doctors, the settlement offered should be the average of the two ratings. However, you still have a right to negotiate a higher settlement.

Read more about Indiana’s Permanent Partial Impairment system (PPI)

The Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board does not send payments to injured workers. In Indiana, employers must carry private insurance. The insurance companies administer and pay claims to injured workers.

The Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board only administers the Worker’s Compensation Act and resolves disputes between workers and their employers (or the employer’s workers compensation insurance carrier). To determine when you will receive your first check, speak with your employer or your employer’s insurance company.

Learn more here: Permanent Partial Disability Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *