Visitor Question

Should I see my auto insurance adjuster in person?

Submitted By: Kurt (Racine, WI)

I was involved in a multiple car accident. I was not at fault, the driver who caused the 5 car accident was intoxicated. He was uninsured and did not have a valid license.

I am filing my claims through my own insurance carrier. I talked to them on the phone about my personal injury and now they want me to come into the office or come over to my house to talk to me.

Should I go?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Kurt,

It is very normal for the insurance adjuster to want to come to you. For one, if there is a damaged vehicle, they will come out and take photos. They are often called “field adjusters” for this very reason, because they spend most of their time in the “field” seeing parties who have been involved in accidents.

Secondly, they do this out of convenience. Often it is easier for them to get to you then for you to get to them, with things such as work, children, injuries or an undriveable vehicle limiting the insured or injured party from getting to the insurance office.

If you hire an attorney, they may want to be present or at least go over some protocol with you prior to your meeting with an insurance adjuster or providing a statement.

Learn more here: Multi-Car Accident Compensation

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *