Visitor Question

Sprained my trapezius rhomboid muscle…

Submitted By: Anonymous (USA)

I slipped on some water at work and before I could fall I caught myself on the basket next to me. I felt a pain in my upper shoulder and back when it happened. I went to the doctor’s office with my manger and the doctor told me I sprained my Trapezius Rhomboid and an unspecified site of my upper shoulder and arm.

The doctor put me on work restriction not to lift more than 10 pounds and not to lift anything over my shoulders. Now I also have to go to therapy. I’m wondering how much compensation I deserve and how I handle this situation at work? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

Your injury is protected under your state’s workmans compensation laws, and more specifically by your employer’s insurance company. Your injury is relatively minor. As a result you will need to continue therapy until such time as you reach a level of maximum medical improvement (MMI). The level of compensation you may receive will be limited by the classification of your partial disability.

You are handling the matter properly. Because your injury is a relatively minor sprain any settlement you receive will be quite small, if any. The amount of your compensation will be proportionate to the amount of therapy you receive, and the cost thereof.

Additionally, your wages for the time you are at therapy should be partially paid as well. It’s normally anywhere from about 65 to 75 percent of your previous wages, depending upon the state in which you live.

Hopefully your employer will pay you full wages during the time you are receiving therapy. Unfortunately, he or she doesn’t have to. As a result, the quicker you finish your therapy, the faster your wages should return to 100 percent.

Learn more here: Back Injuries at Work

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *