Visitor Question

Uninsured Motorcycle Accident…

Submitted By: Cory (St. Petersburg, FL, US)

I was recently in a motorcycle accident and I do not have motorcycle insurance. I was on my motorcycle when I was side swiped by a merging car. When the police officer arrived the other driver was determined to be at fault and was issued a ticket.

Although I had a few minor visible injuries I refused to go to the hospital at the time. Later on that night I had surges of abdominal pain and decided to go to the hospital to make sure I didn’t have internal bleeding. I did not.

Early this week I received a $11,000 medical bill. I would not have gone to the hospital if it wasn’t for the other driver hitting me. I have no way to pay this bill because I do not have medical insurance.

Can I sue the driver who hit me for at least the amount of my medical bills? Should I get a lawyer?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Cory,

You don’t necessarily have to sue the other driver. Instead contact the driver’s insurance company.

Because the other driver was ticketed you are on very strong footing.

Before you contact the driver’s insurance company get a copy of the police report.

The police report will confirm the issuance of a ticket to the other driver.

It will also contain the name of the other driver’s insurance company and possibly the phone number.

With the police report evidencing the other driver’s fault there shouldn’t be much of a problem getting reimbursed not only for you medical bills, but also for any additional out of pocket expenses you incurred such as prescription and over the counter medications.

You can also make a claim for any pain and suffering you may have endured.

If you aren’t sure how to proceed you can always seek the advice and counsel of a personal injury attorney.

Most will not charge you for an initial office consultation.

If you have questions about the process of reimbursement for your property damage or personal injuries, a personal injury attorney will be able to guide you through the process.

Without a personal injury attorney it will be difficult for you to be as effective as you should in the collection of monies for your injuries and related expenses.

A personal injury attorney will not charge you any fee until and unless she either settles your case or wins it at trial.

Even then the attorney will only charge a percentage of 33.3% or 40%, depending if trial becomes necessary.

Learn more here: Motorcycle Accident Injury Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


2 thoughts on “Uninsured Motorcycle Accident…

  1. Mike says:

    How did it work out Curtis? I am in the same boat, no insurance abrupt stop, damage to left quarter panel but kept the buck up, no insurance and ticketed at scene.

  2. Curtis says:

    I was recently involved in a motorcycle accident and I was not insured. The woman in front of me stopped very abruptly which caused me to attempt to avoid her. In doing so I was able to keep the bike up but did slightly damage the back left quarter panel of her car. I was ticketed because I hit her. She has now sent me in the mail a letter demanding that I pay for her damages and the cost of a rental car for the time of her vehicle being repaired.

    I didn’t have insurance but didn’t think that she could demand me to pay without even claiming with her insurance. She also said that if I didn’t reply and consent to pay within 5 days of receiving this, she would take further actions. Not sure what I need to do.

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *