Visitor Question

What can I do if the police report wrongly blames me for the accident?

Submitted By: Linda (Gary, Indiana)

I was going forward on an avenue to a stop sign. I stopped and preceded through the intersection and a truck came out of nowhere turning left. We collided with one another T-bone style.

I was taken by an ambulance to the hospital for injuries that I sustained. Police never talked to me but the report says that I was at fault. I called the police department to have it amended but they said it wasn’t going to be changed. What is my next option? The other driver must have talked to them and blamed everything on me.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Linda,

Contact the Gary Indiana Police Department at 55 Polk Street, Indiana 46402 – Telephone (219) 881-1260. Have your copy of the police report readily accessible. Ask to speak with the Sergeant on duty at the time of the accident. Explain what occurred, and ask for the police report to be amended to reflect your opinion of the events leading to the accident.

Next, contact your insurance company. Ask to speak with the adjuster handling your claim. Once again, explain what occurred and why you believe you were not at fault. Give the adjuster the names and contact information for any passengers or witnesses who were there at the time of the accident. This will be especially important if the passengers’ or witnesses’ versions of the facts support your position.

Unfortunately, the final decision whether to accept fault for the accident and pay the claim will be entirely up to the insurance company claims adjuster.

Learn more here: Using the Car Accident Police Report

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *