Visitor Question

What if my employer won’t give me their workers comp insurance information?

Submitted By: Raymond (West Columbia, South Carolina)

I was a passenger in a company vehicle (did not have my seat belt on) when the vehicle went into a ditch and hit a storm drain, then jumped the next driveway and hit the next driveway storm drain.

I suffered injuries to my Face, Head, Back, and have a Sternal Fracture. I’ve asked my employer for his insurance information and he has yet to give it to me. I have no personal insurance of my own and have medical bills accumulating. I need follow up care and no way to pay for it.

What can I do? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Raymond,

Under South Carolina Workers Compensation laws, you must report your injury to your employer within ninety (90) days after the injury was sustained. If you fail to report your injury within ninety days of the accident, you may lose your benefits.

Although you must report the injury within 90 days, you have up to two (2) years to file an injury claim for benefits.

In most cases, your employer will file your injury claim and begin the claims process. In your case, it appears your employer is not cooperating. As a result, you can file your own claim.

To do so, take the following actions:

  1. Download, print and complete Form 50 Report of Injury.
  2. Once completed, mail the form to:
    South Carolina Workers Compensation
    1333 Main St Ste 500
    Columbia, SC 29201

You are entitled to all necessary medical treatment necessary as a result of your work injury. Based on the facts, it appears you were injured while performing your work duties. As a result, it is unlikely your claim will be denied.

South Carolina workers’ compensation generally pays for surgery, hospitalization, medical supplies, prosthetic devices, and prescriptions.

Learn more here: What Happens If You Sue Your Employer

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *