Visitor Question

What should I do if my landlord hit me in the face?

Submitted By: Richard (Riverview, FL)

I was having a verbal dispute with my landlord when he came up to me and said, “you’re fixing to get an ass beating.” Then he threw both his hands to the side of my face as hard as he could and shook my head.

I reported him to police but I wanted to know if I have more rights? Is there anything else I can do? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Richard,

If your landlord caused any injuries you will have a civil case against him. If the property you rent is owned by someone else you will also have a civil case again that entity. Your injuries though must be medically documented, and to effect any substantial settlement or court ordered Judgment the injuries must also be of a serious nature.

By serious I mean more than just a doctor’s or emergency room visit where no stitches, MRI’s (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)

or CAT Scans (Computer Axial Tomography) produced any evidence of bone breakage, torn ligaments, torn cartilage, torn muscles, organ damage, or similar non-“soft tissue” injuries. Soft tissue injures are those which involve sprains, swollen tissue, and the like.

Soft tissue injuries are recoverable as well, but unless those injuries resulted in documented medical bills, your case won’t be very strong.

The facts you present don’t indicate you suffered any injuries. The injury you may have suffered is the landlord’s rudeness and threats. Regrettably, those are not actions which can be reimbursed or compensated.

Learn more here: Felony Assault & Battery Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *