Visitor Question

What’s the maximum amount I can ask for pain and suffering?

Submitted By: Jessica (Vernon, CT)

I want to know the maximum amount that I can get for pain and suffering, that’s allowed in CT, for me to ask from the insurance company of the driver who rear ended me while I was stopped in traffic.

I have a spinal injury that became aggravated as a result of the severe whiplash and middle back trauma. I needed visits to the ER, doctors and a physical therapist. I am being followed for care by my rheumatologist and orthopedist. The driver’s insurance company will pay for all medical and out-of-pocket expenses.

I need to know what maximum amount I am entitled to for pain and suffering in CT please. Thanks for any information you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Jessica,

The State of Connecticut requires drivers to carry limits of 20/40/10. This represents $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident for bodily injury liability, and $10,000 for property damage liability.

Spinal injury medical and therapeutic bills can be very high; in most cases far exceeding Connecticut’s $20,000.00 limit. Settlement amounts for pain and suffering are not determined independently. Compensation for pain and suffering is normally a product of the costs of treatment.

Because of the seriousness of your injuries you really should retain an attorney. Serious injuries, especially spinal injuries, deserve substantial compensation. In your case, an attorney may be able to locate assets other than those available from the driver’s insurance. With those additional assets the attorney may be able to settle your claim for a more appropriate amount. Without an attorney, it will be very difficult to locate additional assets on your own.

Otherwise, the maximum amount you can ask for pain and suffering will be the excess funds available after all your medical creditors are paid. Hopefully, the driver carried more than the minimal statutory amount. If so, you’ll have a better chance of settling your claim for a much higher amount. If not, after your creditors are paid you may have nothing left to satisfy the compensation you really deserve for your pain and suffering.

Learn more here: Calculating Pain and Suffering Costs

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *