Visitor Question

Will my insurance cover a hand fracture from a fight?

Submitted By: Miles (Milwaukee, WI, USA)

I was in a fight and threw a punch, resulting in a fracture in my hand. There was no police report filed since it was between my roommate and myself.

I was wondering if my insurance will still cover the charges for the doctors visit if the broken hand was from my own actions in throwing a punch and not accidental? What should I say in the injury questionnaire to my insurance company? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Miles,

It is entirely likely your insurance company will cover your fractured hand. Although some insurance policies have a disclaimer for injuries brought about by the criminal actions of their insured, the scuffle with your roommate probably doesn’t qualify as a prohibited act under the disclaimer.

You ask what to say on the questionnaire provided by your insurance company. We strongly advise you to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. With that said, if the questionnaire doesn’t ask how the injury occurred you don’t have to volunteer that information.

The first and most important action you should take is to seek medical care for your injury. Waiting for an insurance company’s decision is the worst thing you can do, especially as waiting may exacerbate your injury and cause the fracture to heal improperly.

Fill out the questionnaire and submit it as soon as possible. Next time, taking a “time out” instead of throwing a punch might be better for all.

Learn more here: Claims for Physical Fight Injuries

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *