Visitor Question

Worker’s Compensation and PIP coverage?

Submitted By: Tiffany (Dallas, TX, USA)

I was involved in a motor vehicle accident while driving a company vehicle in Texas. The accident was not my fault. All my medical bills are being taken care of by worker’s compensation.

Do I still have a claim under my own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) policy with my auto insurance?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Tiffany,

You may. But, you will have to first read your automobile insurance liability policy. Unfortunately many standard consumer automobile insurance liability policies which include PIP, or Personal Injury Protection coverage, have what are called “Exclusions”.

Exclusions are those events upon which an automobile insurance company can deny coverage, even if PIP was originally purchased.

Unfortunately one of those Exclusions may be injuries sustained while driving a company vehicle, or one of your employer’s vehicles, or your own vehicle while using it for commercial purposes.

The best suggestion we can make is to grab your policy and skip to the Exclusions section. There you may be disheartened to learn your PIP may not be available under your set of circumstances.

If you do not have the actual paper policy in your possession, go online to your automobile insurance company’s web site. Most insurance company web sites will permit you to download a copy of the company’s standard policy, including the page where the Exclusions are listed.

In the hopeful event your circumstances are not excluded, you should then go ahead and make your claim under the PIP section of your policy. Let’s hope you are covered.

Learn more here: Car Accidents During Work

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *